Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Typography Now: The Next Wave

Unfortunately, I was not able to look at the book in the library, I'll have to save that for February 22 (when it is due back.) However, due to a video I found at webdesignersreviewofbooks.com, I can get a glimpse of that the book has to offer. The cover features a neo-grotesque typeface, but I am not sure which. According to Amazon.com, the book's size is 10.8 x 8.5, so just roughly under the dimensions of your basic sheet of paper.
After viewing the video, the book appears to be mainly images of typographic design that are meant to inspire a designer or other such like minded individual. What I saw of the images captured my interest a great deal more so than the cover. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the cover. Although balanced, it is not easy on the eyes. I don't know if this is because they mashed they type together, or because they used whacky colors, or because it just seems random and awkward, but I do not think that the layout enhances the communicated message, and the typeface choice at this point seems arbitrary. But then again, maybe I am missing something.
What I do like about it, however, is the use of white space along the binding and left side, as well as the typeface choice and the vertical alignment. I do think that some of the images in the book appear to be unconventional and edgy, such as breaking rules like the size and distribution of the type. This is inspiring to me because with something like typography, I struggle to think outside the well established rules, and I would like to experiment more with my designs. I feel like this book would sort of be a healthy break from that norm.
http://www.webdesignersreviewofbooks.com/reviews/typography-now-the-next-wave

No comments:

Post a Comment