Monday, January 28, 2013

Juxtapoz Magazine and Their Use of Type

When this assignment was addressed, I immediately thought of my favorite kind of magazines: Art magazines! I love Juxtapoz magazine because not only are there neat artists and pictures of their work in it, but the magazine is organized and easy to read thanks to their use of typography.

Usually Juxtapoz interviews each artist about their work, etc. Before looking at the actual interview itself, we obviously spot the harsh caps on the top of the page. This is their main introduction. Although I don't like the use of caps for a full paragraph (I think it's rather abrasive), I think this works. If they wanted you to look at this first immediately once you set your eyes on the page, it worked. It's obviously large, but not too large. I actually find it easy to read, probably because there is such a big space between the paragraph and the interview below.
I also like how they organized the interview. Gabe Scott, a writer for the magazine, is set in a light gray text and the artist assigned text is in black. I like the use of the gray, it's not an extreme difference but I can definitely distinguish who is who now. And if you can notice they even left out the names as you continue reading the interview. I like that they did that! It's very clean. I also like the font. It's not too big, not too small. Although I don't recognize what the typeface is, it is clean and crisp. It's a sans serif typeface. It doesn't completely grasp your attention, but they don't want that because they also want you to look at the art on the opposite page.
This is a good reference to look at in the future. How they used their font, they used their introduction, and how they utilized their space is great, especially on the second page. The interview is not centered, nor does it take up the whole page space. I notice that using columns really helps organize something like this. If you jumble this together, it's a lot of information. However, with the use of columns/grids, you can organize all this information easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment