Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Way to Typography

Source: http://www.pixel77.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Wolfgang-My-Way-to-Typography.jpg

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Weingart-My-Way-Typography/dp/390704486X

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Weingart-My-Way-Typography/dp/390704486X

My Way to Typography was written by Weingart Wolfgang. He was born in 1941 in Salem Valley, Germany. He was 59 years old when his book was published, and he was known as "the father" of a new wave. The book aesthetically starts off very unusal. The table of contents is very creative, and is slightly abrupt due to having both english and german text in the book. The book switches back and fourth to each lanuage every couple of pages or so. The book also doesn't start off how I would have expected a "Typography" book to be; It started off talking about his childhood and his memories of his home and his mother's preserved goods. He also talked about WWI, he witnessed a battle out of his home which took place about 18 miles away. It goes on to talk about his life and how he arose to be known as a Graphic Designer and Typographer, internalionally. The book is heavy text based, however pictures do accompany some of the pages. The typography changes from being a transitional serif, to a grotesque san serif, and to an oldstyle serif. The layout of the text changes from being a text book styled layout (two columns of text) to a reading book layout (one column of text) which I think shows the viewer that the writer is making these choices on purpose to show the viewer that he can successfully use all different kinds of grid types. Wolfgang's work will influence me to use my own personality on my own work. I think he showed himself within his text and layout of his text grides. Some are really funky (like the photograph about with the orange boxes) and some are really straight forward. To me this shows he feelings your thoughts behind the text in which he was writting. The layout of your text should back up and improve your overall message.

No comments:

Post a Comment