Monday, January 28, 2013

Game Informer - Kevin Snyder

Game Informer is a US-based monthly video game magazine. They have been around since the 1990s, but just recently redesigned their magazine (and website) in November 2009. This issue is post-redesign. I personally really liked the changes they made, especially to the type face on the front cover. I do not know what the type face is, but I like that it is very modern and angular. It fits the video game and electronics theme much better than I thought their previous type face choice did (which I don't have a scan of).


This particular issue caught my attention even more, and not just because of the gorgeous artwork. Typically the font will be a single color, associated with whatever game is their cover story for that month. But for this issue, they really incorporated the text into the rest of the artwork on the cover. It is still angular and video-gamey, but colored to match the sketchy style of the rest of the cover. I'm not sure I like the paint splotch to dot the letter I though.

I'm not too sure how this will help me, but I really enjoyed how the magazine cover incorporated the type, with the non-type, so that it was successfully unified. But I think that is something important to know: how to make the type not feel out of place when designing with more than just type.

No comments:

Post a Comment