Monday, January 28, 2013

Communication Arts - Austin Stewart

As I was sifting through the latest Communication Arts, this ad stuck with me. It was extremely awkward looking, with the dolphin tattoo across the man's temple. What decision process did this man go through to end up with a dolphin tattoo'd to his face?


I feel this ad spoke to me because I share the same fear as the copy. I don't want to get a tattoo because I'm not ready for that commitment. Just like moving in with a girl, it's a big relationship to get yourself into. So this ad is targeting people who are looking for stock images, but don't want to risk getting the wrong one. The add attempts to alleviate the fear, by showing their understanding of the audience. 


But for this ad to work, the image and the text had to be connected. This was achieved effectively by the use of swooping calligraphic letters in "Can be Scary," and the pointed needle like letter in the futura font of "COMMITMENT." The use of the type in these instances helps me to further understand situations where type can assist the meaning, and help make connections with images you use.




No comments:

Post a Comment