Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Villegas-Catalogs



In Gauguin and Van Gogh L'avventura delcolore nuovo, a twelve by ten inch catalog, the table of contents had an interesting layout. Alternating the the side that the text and pictures were set as the table moved down the page broken by simple lines to seperate chapters. The font in the book was a transitional or modern serif and worked well to create a clean look. In the catalog Forever Picasso the layout of the pages were very nice. The text, a modern type serif I'd guess, was oriented toward the outer edges of the pages on the lowere half of each sheet, except for the third page after every new chapter when the text would be set closer into the spine which I thought was a nice anomaly. The placement of the type left a clean negative space in the center of the book where small notes of the pictures set in the top half of the pages.  I really enjoyed this layout and would love to emulate that style in my own catalog. And in the table of contents for Durer was very organized and I liked the use of Roman numerals for the chapters and regular numerals to indicate each section of the chapter. The organization and variety of type face and sizes is something I'd look to in my own catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment