Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sarah Brink// Conan O' Brien

http://vimeo.com/jacobgilbreath/conan

** I tried to embed the video but it wouldn't work**

Is kinetic typography up and coming or are we just noticing it? Title sequences have been around since we can remember at the start of the movies. Some are getting quite clever. Kinetic typography can be done a few different ways but the core consists of motion and text.
The video I chose is one done by a student at Oklahoma State named Jacob Gilbreath. His interests lie in motion graphics and typography. Looking at his behance profile it reflects this with a lot of typographic work. I chose his video because it intrigued me -- not just because it was a Vimeo staff pick.
The video consists of many different typefaces and is based on the dialogue of Conan O' Brien's dialogue on his parting at The Late Show. There are over 60 typefaces used included modern sans serifs, vintage serifs, and display fonts. A large variety is used but it's cohesive with the same colour and 3d form of it that is used. Each frame of the video is consistent with the next. In my opinion, not one of the frames stands out much more from the next unless you have a preferences to the type of typeface used compared to the previous frame. I also am really happy that he chose a spot colour of orange to highlight few key elements of the dialogue. I can't pick a favourite typeface that was used after watching the video a couple times over.
The whole time I watched the video I was curious if he would zoom out and show the little sections laid out. As a viewer, you feel as though your zooming out and in into different sections of a whole so I was very happy that there was a whole to view.
From this blog post, I will definitely pay more attention to the new vimeo channel on kinetic typography and as always keep a keen eye out for fantastic title sequences in movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment