Monday, February 18, 2013

Kristin // Catalogs



The first book that really caught my eye was this hot pink GH Avisualagency. The book its self was rather large, but not in comparison to the other books surrounding it, but the pink sure did help to grab my attention. The bold san-serif and simple colors really jumped off the book case and I was rather pleased when I opened it and found that it was all about different CD designs and packaging. It was neat to see it be about something other than museums and galleries. The type was fairly simple, in small paragraphs across the bottom, nothing to hard to see, but it also didn't distract from the CDs. I though lots of musicians would enjoy this book being that it is artsy and about design on cd cases.




 The next book also visually popped off the shelves, it was a bit thicker than most the books. The explanation point really gave it a nice twist to just text on the side. This book is from the Whitney Museum of American Art by Richard Artschwager who made a lot of really interesting and visually illusionist artwork. Like the first book this one also had a simple san serif on the front cover that is very bold against its background. I loved how in this one the outside binding reflected onto what some of the art at the museum was about-- the fact he was making over sized art with type I though was particularly neat. I have no idea what font his chosen type would be, it seems to be a sans serif, but a very playful one. It really brings some inspiration of less is more into the type design. It is a very modern art show, so the audience would really have to be some artist who is in the know with modern design.






While this last one isn't exactly an exhibition book, I am absolutely in love with it. It's called  My World of Art Book by Blanche Jefferson. It took me some time looking though them to really figure out what they were, some sort of coloring book from the 70s. There were several of them and they were hand bound rather large in size-- about like a place mat. It was interesting all the pages were perforated and covered in beautiful designs. From pages about type, to water colors and an activity about the sounds of lines. It really gave me a lot of inspiration for what I want my exhibition to be about. The main font choice was a rather large san serif , mixed up with some very thin ones--all things easy for kids to read. I suppose their target audience was for kids, If I were a kid I would have loved to have received this as an activity book, but it probably was also for their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment