Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Paige Leopold - Catalogues

The first book that caught my eye was called Artist & Prints by Deborah Wye. When I opened the book, the first inside spread was all black and white but the rest of the book had color pages. I liked this element and I also liked the pink color splashes to highlight for the title features on the front cover. There were tons of little names on the cover to the right hand side and it gave me a great idea for something I could incorporate into my own project. I also liked how the sans serif type was arranged on the cover. It is vertical and facing to the right which makes it somewhat unique compared to other books. Plus the hot pink gives it a nice touch. The book's dimensions are 9.4 x 1.3 x 11 inches and it is 288 pages thick.This catalogue contains 350 creative works of the most celebrated artists of the modern period from the Department of Prints and Illustrated Books at the Museum of Modern Art that have expanded their work in the print medium. Using techniques such as woodcut, lithography, etching and screenprint, as well as other processes, these artists have expanded dramatically. 





The second book I took interest in was in the Interior Design section. It's called Kitchen Centric by Mick De Giulio and is a black cover with silver lined type, simple yet elegant. The title is in all caps and is a sans serif font. I love the simplicity of it and I feel like that would go well with my future project. The book is really cool because it's mostly pictures (which we all love) and it has a few inspiring quotes at the beginning of each section. It contains kitchen designs for the most part and different styles that someone could use for inspiration to design their own kitchen depending on the individual's style. The designs send the viewer a type of feeling such as Handsome, Fearless, No Problem, and Collected are a few of the design titles. The book's dimensions are 1.3 x 11 x 11 inches which means it's a perfect square design with 256 pages filled with design.




The last book I stumbled upon was extremely interesting to me. It's super vintage and old style  and that's the shit I like. The typography on the cover fits the content perfectly because the book is about Deco-style metal-and-glass picture frames from the mid-1920s to the beginning of the postwar era in the 1940s. The book is called Picture Perfect by Steve Starr. The book title is written in a familiar-looking font that looks like the style of Didot mixed with Harrington. It is all caps and is black on a silky gold background cover. The book contains photo frames from the collection of Steve Starr with over 600 designs. These are his top ones and he grew very famous from them and these photo frames are extremely collectible today. This was a smaller book with dimensions of 10.9 x 9.4 x 0.5 inches and only 160 pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment