Monday, February 4, 2013

Lily Kowalski - Kinetic Typography

Going through all the movies I like, there was only one movie and its opening credits available on Youtube, which was the opening credits of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World movie. I noticed that many people submitted the opening credits of this particular movie. I guess they thought it was the coolest opening sequence ever or something. I watched it again and I can guess why. Although the type (which looks like a bold Helvetica) is your typical, capitalized type face, the way they played around with it in the opening credits was well done. They made the credits move along with the band's rhythm. At some points you can catch the type so subtly move up or down, or become inverted. I love the glow and grittiness they applied to the type. I think it works because although it moves to the rhythm it is still very legible. I especially the designed type for the title in the very beginning of the video! The lightning bolt pattern gives the title some rhythm, which is a good representation since the movie is about a guy and his band. This is a good resource to look back on if I want to display legible text in a good order but I want to apply some subtle yet tasteful movement to it - especially if I'm designing something that has to do with gritty, indie rock music!

No comments:

Post a Comment