Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's A Mad Mad Mad World : Michael Johnson

This title sequence for It's a Mad Mad Mad World was created by Saul Bass, and is one of the longest title sequences I've ever seen at about four minutes long. The typeface is a sans-serif typeface and looks somewhat like Univers to me, although I am not sure. I really love how the type and image play around with each other. Often the type stays on a line in a logical order, but at times Bass threw around the type, had it fall out of a globe or had a plane flying it around.  It's amazing how interesting a bunch of names can be made when they are surrounded by animation.  When you also consider that this was probably done with cut out letters to animate it, it makes me wonder why title sequences aren't nearly as creative today now that they can be done entirely with a computer. It makes me want to play with type layout in nonmoving imagery and really changes how I think image and type can be combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment