Sunday, March 3, 2013

San Antonio Museum of Art

I chose to do my post over the San Antonio Museum of Art, an unassuming building upon first glance...


It is incredible once you get inside though! They have one of the best collections of antique art that I've ever been able to see in person, ranging from Egyptian to Greek. On the other side of the building are a number of different exhibits which include latino art from the last two centuries, a collection of religious artwork from the new-world (even a number of Native American Chiefs who had themselves painted as Roman Catholic priest.) and some other really interesting stuff. The art work that caught my eye the last time I was there was from an artist named Henri Fantin-Latour. His work that is exhibited is from a period in his life where he themed his etchings off of operatic arias.



On the screen these pieces are great to look at, but in person they are just breath-taking... I was still unsure of just how he'd made them. There are so many different details and layers within each work, I just find it hard to believe that these were simply etched. Over all, the museum usually has had great exhibits that are different from the last and tend to keep ya coming back for more. Their next exhibit will be there until August, I highly suggest checking it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment