Friday, March 1, 2013

Justin Halley_Cartoon Art Museum_Chuck Jones





                                                                                       
I was looking for pop culture museums and actually ran across this one, the Cartoon Art Museum in San Fransisco, which is actually perfect for my project. They show, as the blunt name of the museum suggests, cartoon related art (I.E. comics, cartoon,etc..). One of the exhibitions going on right now is titled Chuck Jones: Drawing on Imagination: 100 Years of an Animated Artist. Chuck Jones is a renowned animation director, known primarily for his work on Looney Tunes. The show is compromised of 100 works of art form the famed cartoonist, all donated by the Chuck Jones Center For Creativity.
 I was interested in this show because I, like most of you I presume, grew up with the Loony Tunes, and consider it to be one of the finest cartoons ever made. The website is, unfortunately, not an especially well designed one (the links are especially lazy)  but the homepage is not bad and fits the tone of the type of items it shows well enough. There wasn't a whole lot of choices as it turns out for cartoon/comic book museums. The typefaces used are all very simple sans serif fonts, with little flair or sense of design. Honestly, I really only picked this museum for the show, and because the only other comic book related museums I could find were even worse. However, it's not horrible, and having seen many comic book shops in my time this is actually something of an achievement. The focus of places like these are usually the art they present, and not the places themselves, so while the overall design is disappointing, it's not unexpected. I do kind of enjoy the boxing off of the Images though, that was a clever link back to a comic book panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment