Wednesday, March 20, 2013

NiftyThrifty Grid-Shelby Stockman


When I saw the assignment I knew exactly which example I wanted to use for a grid. The website niftythrifty.com is designed by welkome design agency and uses a column grid divided into 13ths for their homepage. This 13 column grid is then separated into 4 columns with one of the 13ths left out for the scroll to top button. The organization allows for a distinct navigation and organization of their sales and information beside it. This really helps with the navigation and usability of the site. The columns make it easier to scroll through the sales they have and give it organization.
When reading the book I found the history of the grid to be very interesting. The fact that some art movements rejected the grid and some found inspiration from it I think is important. I like that the book addressed this because it shows that the gird is not a fixed practice and doesn't have to be used for everything. Grids are extremely helpful in deciding the placement of elements in your work but as the book says, it's the designer that goes outside the lines after using the gird to draw interest and put emphasis that will be successful. I understood that grids are more of a suggestion and guidelines rather than strict rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment